While in Pittsburgh (2000-2004), I was called to be the Young Women's President - (I know, I know, slim pickins I guess). I LOVED the calling. It gave me something that was MINE. We were in Pittsburgh for Aaron (Dental School). So, I threw myself into my calling and found it was an answer to my prayers. I LOVED the girls. They were beautiful on the INSIDE and the OUT!! They taught me way more then I taught them. I definitely got the better end of the bargain. They have become amazing women and I am so proud of them.
(some of the YM & YW - I am hiding in the back left, very pregnant and sporting braces...Kenz is running in the parking lot... so little and so cute)
Our Bishop was Bishop George Bradley. He is the father of five gorgeous girls. I had the privilege of working with four of his five. Recently, I found them all on facebook and a few have blogs. - Patty and Julie. YES, I admit it - I AM A BLOG STALKER!!
*Kristina was the oldest... I never got to work with her.
*Victoria was tall, gorgeous, very independent, and questioned many things. She loved to learn. She is now an editor for four different magazines in Pittsburgh.
*Patty was more spunky - musically talented, always cut her hair short and wore high heels & fancy coats. She was funny!! - She always had us giggling with her humor.
*Julie was sporty & simple. She was tall with long dark hair, and was a talented artist. She ended up serving a mission.
*Andi was a beehive - assertive and absolutely darling. She loved to play with Kenzie. She was the youngest and was trying to find herself amidst the other beauties in her family. She is now her wards Young Women's President. :)
(Kristina, Patty, Julie, Victoria, Andi)
Anyway, I wanted details... when did they get married, where are they now, how many kids, etc... So I started reading their blogs and looking at their cute photos. A few years ago, Patty was celebrating her third anniversary. She blogged about a few things she had learned in her three years of marriage. She put it so simply - Her Top 10. I loved what she wrote and thought we could all learn a little about what works best a marriage...
10 Things I've Learned in 3 Years of Marriage
10. Watching a really lame TV show about the engineering behind building a bridge and not complaining means a lot to my husband. It's the time spent together.
9. The words, "What can I do for you?" can make a marriage last forever.
8. Go to bed at the same time- even if one of you is sick and wants to go to bed at 8:00. Just do it.
7. Be united- but keep your individuality. Ken likes to golf and I like to swim. No harm there.
6. Listen to the whole idea or story before jumping to conclusions or solutions. I've learned to start by saying, "Hear me out." Then I know I can get all my ideas out there and we can really talk about it.
5. There isn't an answer to every problem.
4. You have to talk to each other everyday even when there is not that much to say. Even when today was exactly the same as yesterday. Even when you'd rather not. You just have to.
3. Teasing each other is fun and keeps the fire burning and all but can turn bad... really fast.
2. Date nights work. Even when date night means turning off our cell phones and playing Scrabble together. It still counts.
1. Love is free.
See why I say - I learned so much more from them then they did from me.... Wise Ladies, they are!! Okay -back to stalking their blogs.... Go kiss your husbands, sit and watch their boring shows, and then see if they want to chat!! Happy Marriage to you all.... XOXOX :)