September 30, 2010

"You Prayed We'd Be Safe??"

We rotate saying prayers each morning. It was my turn today. I prayed that my kids would be safe from harm and that they would always protect and take care of each other. We all said "Amen" and they were out the door to catch the bus.

I began blow drying my hair when I heard someone struggling to open my front door. It was Mackay and Hayden (Kenz had left earlier). Mackay was trying to open the door while CARRYING Hayden.

Hayden had blood on his knee, hand, and dripping from his elbow. He was crying so Mackay explained that Hayden had tripped and fallen on the "hard part of the sidewalk" (as opposed to the soft side???). I began cleaning and bandaging Hayden's wounds as fast as I could (the bus hadn't come yet and I had errands to run...I am the worst mom). As I calmed Hayden, I noticed Mackay in his own world... he was shaking his head and blinking back tears.

Me: "Mackay, are YOU okay?"
Mackay: "Mom, you prayed we'd be safe???"
Me: "I also prayed that you would take care of each other."

He nodded, tried to smile, and then tried to wash Hayden's blood off of his shirt. The faith of a child.... I kissed them both. Thanked Mackay for "taking care of his brother" and told them to walk fast, not run, to the bus stop. (Phew... they made it.)

7 comments:

Debbie said...

You have good boys. That is why you blog to keep a record of good stories like that.

Alyssa said...

Ouch! Those "owies" look like they hurt. My favorite part of this story is the description of the "hard part of the sidewalk". So funny. Glad the brothers are looking out for each other. They are good boys!

amanda said...

You figured out your blog. It looks good.
You weren't kidding, he got lots of ouchies. Poor guy. That is a cute story. Not all tough "quarter backs" have a kind heart:)

amanda said...

so sweet. i wish i had a birother or sister like that.

Shauna said...

Is that blood on his shirt too? Ouch. Such cute boys. Funny about the "hard" part of the sidewalk.

jenn said...

That story is a keeper.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jenn..That story is a keeper.. You are such an awesome teacher and Mom. It seems like you are always talking to your children, in a soft, loving manner. This blog was very touching...